Monday 16 May 2011

Restaurant Review: Ga mi


Location: 535 Lt Lonsdale St Shop G, Melbourne
Phone: (03) 9670 3232
Cuisine: Korean
Overall impression: 7/10 
I have never eaten a plate of Chicken anus before. Nor have I thought it would ever be necessary. That was, until that ill-fated night, when I lost some weird game we were playing at the table at Ga Mi and I took my first bite. To be honest, it really did not taste as bad as I had thought it would. It was foreign and strange, as opposed to gross (taste-wise, that is...). The plate of chicken anus that Ga Mi had plated up was filled with flavour, so I don't blame the chef for the unpleasant experience I had. It was the textural elements of the anus itself that I had a problem with. I don't think I have ever tasted anything quite so muscle-ly, sinew-y and packed with cartilage. Like I said, it was strange.
But the chicken anus dish is not what Ga Mi has gained a cult following for. The reason I love Ga Mi is for its fried chicken. It comes in three varieties- original, sweet chilli and garlic. Personally, I prefer the original (sans sauce) chicken. Crunchy and tasty. It is kind of like KFC, but for the fact that it taste a lot less artificial. Its hard to describe but I'm sure you will understand once you've tried it. And how could you ever go wrong with a nice bucket of fried chicken. Yum!
Gami on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

IkaInk said...

Came here tonight. I was disappointed that I did not see Chicken Anus on the menu.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... we had a native South Korean with us that helped us do all the food orders. I'm surprised it isn't on the menu, though! Sorry! Did you try just asking for the dish?

Max said...

It's called Chicken Gizzards on the menu. Hope it helps

Gastrology said...

Thank you so much, Max!