Friday 2 March 2012

Daylesford trip: The Heritage Restaurant review and Red Star Cafe review

Grange Bellinzona
Location: 77 Main Rd, Hepburn Springs 3461 VIC
Link: http://www.grangecc.com.au/default/bellinzona_dine_with_us
Cuisine: Modern Australian
Overall Impression: 6/10

There is nothing quite like a weekend away in the comforts of a cottage in spa paradise, Hepburn Springs. A mere couple of hours away from Melbourne, it feels like you’re miles away from home. You quickly forget the cares and bustle you have left in the city and settling down with scones and a pot of tea seems like the natural thing to do. My two night stay in Bellinzona was brief but extremely enjoyable. They have a wonderful pool and a heated spa that you can enjoy (a privilege I certainly took advantage of).
As guests of the Grange Bellinzona retreat, we were catered for well. I particularly enjoyed their breakfast during the two mornings I ate there. The 3-course dinner experience I had was however, very average. The stunning Edwardian style guesthouse was an ideal dinner location but I was slightly disappointed with the food.
Duck Salad
My duck salad had lovely flavours but the duck was unfortunately overcooked.
Eye Fillet served with mash and greens
The steak was juicy, tender and cooked well but the mashed potatoes were lumpy and the vegetables on the side were clearly and afterthought.
Lemon Tart
The dinner concluded on a high with a beautifully decadent lemon tart. The acidity of the lemon flavoured filling was perfect as it cut through the beautiful sweetness of the buttery and indulgent pastry. It was a delectable end to the meal.
Note: I dined here on a Friday night and we were specially catered for as the restaurant is only open on Saturdays for dinner, as such, my experience is not representative of the food served on Saturday nights.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my relaxing stay and was impressed by the hospitality of the staff and the comfort of my cottage.
The Heritage Restaurant on Urbanspoon




Red Star
Location: 115 Main Rd, Hepburn Springs
Phone: 03 5348 2297
Link: theredstar.com.au
Cuisine: Breakfast/Brunch, Coffee
Overall Impression: 5.5/10
Berry Smoothie

We stopped by this lovely café before heading back to Melbourne. The weather was brilliant so we all sat outside. Everyone was raving about their delicious milkshakes and iced coffees and I certainly enjoyed my berry smoothie.
Red Star on Urbanspoon

No comments: