Friday 24 February 2012

Restaurant Review: Shanghai Village Dumpling

Location: 112 Little Bourke St
Phone: 03 9663 1878
Cuisine: Chinese, Asian, Vegetarian
Overall Impression: 5/10
I can see how it is a “bargain” but I’m not sure if the hype is justified. Shanghai Village Dumpling has a loyal band of followers and I have yet to understand why this is the case. I have visited this eatery on a number of occasions but to be perfectly honest, I have only ever been there when I have not been able to get a table at HuTong Dumpling Bar, located a few seconds away.
My misconceptions that Shanghai Village Dumpling merely catered for the overflow crowd from HuTong Dumpling Bar became clear when I started reading reviews of this place. It is certainly well-priced but not more so than a lot of China Town dumpling eateries. That said, it is what it is – BYO, generous serves of dumplings and other noodle-ly goodness for a small price. Would I recommend it? Sure, why not.
Steamed Vegetarian Dumplings
I highly recommend their steamed vegetarian dumplings. They are delicious. 
Pan Fried Pork Dumplings
Shanghai Village Dumpling on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Louise said...

For me, this place is like a less-surly Camy Shanghai. Same food, same prices, but instead of scowling at you, the staff sometimes wear shirts with smiley faces on them!